“The future grows out of the present while the present seeps up out of the past. The choices we make today describe the theater we’ll have tomorrow. Process is everything, and the outcome can’t
be predicted.” – Zelda Fichandler
The mission of Moving Arts’s MADlab is to foster new and producible scripts by creating a unique environment of support and collaboration with professional Los Angeles playwrights, dramaturges, directors, and actors. Moving Arts is paving the way for MADlab to become the most well respected and highly competitive new play development program in Los Angeles. MADlab is a unique 9 month program that focuses on the development of new plays from the idea up.
Each selected playwright:
- Will be paired with a dramaturg
- Will be given two cold readings of their scripts that will include curated and focused feedback sessions
- Will have a 15 hour workshop period with professional actors and a director that specializes in new play development
- Will receive a final public reading of their play at the First Look Reading Series
- Will receive a stipend for the process
Dana Schwartz produces MADlab. Moving Arts’ Artistic Director is Darin Anthony and Gabrieal Griego is Managing Director. Cece Tio serves as Producer.